Work stress can build up over time and it can be quite intense when you have a lot of work to do and you feel constantly under pressure. When you become overly stressed out your work will suffer and you may become completely useless to your employer. Also, stress that goes on for an extended period of time can cause some serious health problems. It is very important to find ways to reduce your work stress so that you feel better and be able to get your work done more efficiently.
Here are some effective ways to reduce work stress:
- Check your emails only twice per day. When you are already busy and have a lot of work to do, it can be very stressful to see emails continually coming in with new projects that need to be completed. Shut the program down and only open it at the two designated times that you have predetermined. This will help you to be much more productive too.
- When you are under the gun and have an important project to complete, eliminate as many distractions as possible. Close your office door if you have one or go and work in a spare office where you can close the door if necessary. Ask that your calls be held or turn down the ringer and let all of your calls go through to voicemail. As with email, only check your voicemail a few times daily.
- Keep your main office hours – 8:30 to 4:30 or 9 to 5. Don’t work overtime all the time and eliminate your time away from work. When you get to work really early and leave really late there is not much time left for downtime and this can become very stressful after a while. Downtime is very important because it helps people to relax and separate from their job. Your job is important, but it should not rule your life. If your boss does not understand that you need time to relax and have a life away from work, it may be time to find another job.
- If you have a cellular phone and your office has the phone number, then you must turn it off or let voicemail take your calls when you are not at work. Check those voice messages once per day and return calls if it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, do not return any calls until you are back at the office the next day.
- Schedule time for relaxation. Whether this means having a spa day or getting away from it all on the weekends or simply relaxing at home with a good book, make sure that you are taking time for yourself. You need to relax your mind and not be stressed out constantly or you are not going to be any good to anyone in the long run. If you feel stressed out and under pressure then you are not going to be any good at your job. It is important to take time for yourself.
Shared by www.pepworldwide.com.au