Many people usually find themselves in a situation where the list of things to do is not getting shorter. For those who have a things to do list, they may wish for a longer day so as to get everything done but it all comes down to effective time management. If you are constantly finding yourself with not enough time to complete your daily activities then it is advisable to implement a time management program.
Effective time management is about mastering the skill of managing yourself. While this may seem easy, most people usually struggle to achieve their goals in life due to poor time management. In order to achieve an effective time management regimen there are few things that you may pay attention to. These are:
- Always plan for the day ahead. This can be done by actually writing down in a list on paper or in an organizer the things that you want to accomplish while prioritizing each task. Attach time lines to each of the activities.
- It is advisable to outsource and delegate. However, this applies to the activities that are likely to distract you from attending to the listed tasks. Endeavour to enlist others to do some tasks if it is cheaper and where the delegated entity is able to accomplish a task with as much finesse as if you were doing it yourself.
- Effective time management requires the breakdown of huge tasks into smaller tasks. This will enable you to work on the smaller tasks each after another. This goes a long way in maintaining focus as each mile stone makes for the completion of the whole task.
- You should be firm on what you have set out to do so as to be able to resist and control distractions. It is possible to turn down a distraction however strong it is. Remember what you wish to accomplish and consider that a distraction will be on the way of achieving your dreams. This will make it easier to resist a detour no matter how enticing it is.
- As you are planning how you are going to carry out the activities of the day ahead keep in mind the crucial lifestyle activities such as healthy nutrition and exercise. Effective time management does not mean a sacrifice of the things that will even help to manage your time better. Have enough sleep to refresh yourself as you will have better focus and concentration when you embark on the tasks that you have set out to do. As you become more efficient you will spare more time for resting and unwinding in readiness for the day ahead.
- Remember the more you work on tasks, fatigue sets in which leads to a loss of concentration leading to more time being used to complete a task that is actually required. Take a break and relax. A break is a reward to yourself which will boost your energy which will yield better results in lesser time.
- Keep in mind that the most important thing is the doing part of things and not spend too much time planning. Remember to update your goals as you become better in effective time management. As you realize that you are completing your tasks successfully in lesser time do not stop there, adjust your time frames for each activities so that you do not spend unnecessary time doing something while no value is being added.